What is this all about?

This blog will attempt to share my views about the (ever uphill) journey towards social and corporate responsibility. I would like to make more educated consumer decisions; especially those which effect my own personal health and the health of others on a local, national and global level.

But let's face it: the fight for justice can be a real downer. Therefore, I will be adding in occasional highlights from my lovely life as a thrice all American (A Tacoma dweller and proud of it)!

Monday, June 16, 2008

Thanks Mom

Even though I know my mom does not read blogs I had to thank her for helping me in my "smart choices" endeavors. You see, after about thirteen emails with Tricia from Aveda HQ (thank Tricia, you rock, and I still owe you a thank you note in the mail!) I was able to secure a list of most Aveda products that are paraben free. As a side note, I learned that all Aveda products are phthalate free... So there was some good news and some bad news on this list. Perhaps the saddest news was that I was going to stop using Brialliant humectant pomade. But the best news was that I could keep using Sap Moss conditioner (but not shampoo... poo!). So I went to buy some Sap Moss conditioner and they were out... but they were not just out-ish, they were OUT! As in, I could not find the Sap Moss section. As in, I felt that something was terribly wrong. I know this might seem dramatic, but just imagine if the one product that could help you have consistent good hair days, which took you about 26 years to find, just decided to end one day... So I slowly and sadly approached the counter to ask what gives? And I walked out of Aveda empty handed that day. (Okay that is not true, I bought some paraben free face wash that I love- called Outer Peace).

Where does mom come into his story? here is where my mom comes in.

I call her at lunch today and say "I do not want you to do anything over the top, but could you"- pause- when I start a sentence like that, I can see my mom cringing in her chair with her frugal roots and Midwestern sensibility oozing out of her-- "could you send me the half bottle of sap moss conditioner that I left in the shower when I was home at Passover?"

At which point my mom says the reasonable thing that anyone should say. "Did you call any other Aveda distributors in town?"

"No... but I will..."

I now have a bottle of pure goodness on hold for me downtown and my hair can get back in shape just in time for the weekend!

Again, thanks Mom!

No comments: