What is this all about?

This blog will attempt to share my views about the (ever uphill) journey towards social and corporate responsibility. I would like to make more educated consumer decisions; especially those which effect my own personal health and the health of others on a local, national and global level.

But let's face it: the fight for justice can be a real downer. Therefore, I will be adding in occasional highlights from my lovely life as a thrice all American (A Tacoma dweller and proud of it)!

Thursday, June 5, 2008

Making Smart Choices

This is something I posted to Don't Worry Be Hambly

Using the Earth to Help Brynn Give Cancer the Smack Down

The Breast Cancer Fund

http://www.breastcancerfund.org

In response to the public health crisis of breast cancer, the Breast Cancer Fund identifies – and advocates for elimination of – the environmental and other preventable causes of the disease.

Campaign for Safe Cosmetics

http://www.safecosmetics.org/companies/index.cfm

Learn who is and who IS NOT getting in line to remove parabens, phthalates and other harmful synthetic ingredients from cosmetics and body care products.

Think Before You Pink

http://www.thinkbeforeyoupink.org/

Ever stop to wonder if that bottle water with the pink ribbon purporting to support breast cancer research might be causing you cancer? Check this site out to learn how to make smart choices in this regard.

Smart Food Choices

http://www.thedailygreen.com/healthy-eating/Dirty-Dozen-Foods

Environmental Justice Resources

http://www.chej.org/BESAFE/pvc/about.htm

Learn why and what about PVC is bad. Learn about SAFE alternatives here:

http://www.chej.org/BESAFE/pvc/safe.htm

Think Global, Act Local

Want to get involved in Seattle:

http://ccej.org/about.php4

In T-town:

http://www.tpchd.org/page.php?id=341

Corporate Responsibility

Lastly, I (Kate) have been casually emailing all the companies that I use products from with the following email. I intend to write them all a break up letter, but right now I am fact-finding. I will post what I find on Brynn’s blog.

Can you please provide a list of all ____________ (Aveda, Neutrogena, etc.) products that the are free of parabens (methylparaben, propylparaben, isoparaben, and butylparaben) and phthalates?

Thank you in advance for your assistance and I look forward to hearing from you.

OR

(This was my example to Aveda)

Hello!

I would like the full and complete ingredient list for the following products please:

Brilliant Humectant pomade
Sap Moss Shampoo
Sap Moss Conditioner
Etc. Etc. Etc.

No comments: